Conditions of Competition Entry
Terms and conditions
- There is a standard fee of £8 for each entry submitted.
- You may submit as many collections as you wish.
- Your real name must not appear anywhere on the manuscript. Choose a pen name and a title for your collection, and write both on every page.
- Postal entries must be postmarked on or before Wednesday 1st March 2017. Online entries can be submitted up until midnight on Wednesday 1st March 2017.
- Entries sent by post must be accompanied by a completed entry form. (Online entrants complete the ‘uploads form’ at www.poetrybusiness.co.uk.)
- We ask for small collections of 12 pages of poems. Poems may be of any length. A long poem may take several pages. More than one poem may be printed on a single page.
- The poems should be for adults, in English, and typed on one side only of A4. As a guide, we recommend you use 12pt Times New Roman font.
- Poems may have been published elsewhere, but must not have previously appeared as a published collection. Copyright remains with the authors but The Poetry Business reserves the right to first UK publication of the collection for 12 months from publication. (This doesn’t prevent publication elsewhere of individual poems.)
- We are unable to return manuscripts or offer feedback.
- Four outstanding collections will be selected to receive mentoring, readings, publication in the North magazine. One of the four collections will be published as a pamphlet by smith|doorstop. All four winners will be invited to read at a launch reading organized by the poetry business, receive a subscription to the North magazine, and one of their poems will published in the North magazine.
- The judges’ decision is final. If in the judges’ opinion no collection achieves a high enough standard, no prize winner will be chosen.
- We reserve the right to change the panel of judges without notice.
- Entry to the competition will be deemed to be acceptance of these conditions.